Types Of Application Security Testing: Security testing is the process of detecting threats and vulnerabilities in software, thus preventing malicious attacks. It also uncovers all the weaknesses and loopholes that may bring about loss of information. It is a necessary step all tech geeks must take to protect their valuable data.
The sooner security testing is done, the sooner you can save sensitive data that may be on the verge of being lost. Here are different types of application security testing used by mobile app testing companies.
1. Vulnerability Scanning
Vulnerability scanning is automated process of proactively identifying security, network, and application vulnerabilities.
This process is usually performed by a third-party security service provider and the IT department of an organization. Vulnerability scanning service uses software known as a vulnerability scanner. The software uses a database to compare details about the target attack surface.
Once the anomalies are discovered, vulnerability scanning enforces its duties and ensures that the threats are rendered harmless. However, vulnerability scanning has a few downsides like:
- Often overlooks the latest vulnerabilities
- A high false-positive rate
- Usually overlooks the latest vulnerabilities.
2. Security Scanning
This can be described as an application that checks how to secure a website or network is. Security scanning ensures that there aren’t any unwanted changes in files or vulnerabilities that may threaten an entire system.
There are different types of security scanning applied depending on the degree of intricacies in a site or network. Ideally, security scanning should be done once in a long while.
Nonetheless, some companies see the need to continually check their systems’ security and do it as frequently as they can. There are different types of security scans, including:
- Server security scanning. This type acts as a preventive measure for any kind of risk that the server may be facing. Server security scanning must be carried out as often to ensure that your server is safe at all times. You should frequently monitor server types such as web, proxy, application, file, print, and many other servers.
- Network security scanning. There are more reasons that why this type of security scanning is essential. Network means that there are plenty of companies involved, and this makes hackers thrive. Certified experts should only handle network scanning as it tends to get overly complicated down the road.
3. Penetration Testing
Also referred to as ‘pen-testing,’ this is the process of testing a computer system, web, or network application to look for security vulnerabilities that a hacker can use.
A pen test is a cyber-attack that’s been duplicated to launch attacks against the system of your computer to check for vulnerabilities that may turn out to be exploitable in the long run. Pen-testing happens in 5 stages:
- Planning and reconnaissance. In this stage, you have to define the test goals you’re about to carry out. You also have to be intentional about familiarizing yourself with the domain names and the server details. This move helps you to understand how your target functions.
- Scanning. Here, you’ll get to understand the response of your target app when attempts to intrude are made. This requires you to apply two critical methods. One is static analysis, which entails inspecting an app’s code to determine its behavior when in motion. The other way is the dynamic analysis, which is more practical because you see exactly what happens in an app’s performance.
- Getting access. Certain attacks are used to get to the vulnerabilities of the target in question. When discovered, experts will try everything possible to stop the damages they may cause.
- Maintaining access. The goal here is to see how persistent the vulnerability can be in the system.
- Analysis. This is where the results from all four stages are combined, and then solutions are provided to see to it that no future attacks are launched.
4. Security Review
This is best termed as a security audit and is a process that is structured to provide a review of the software in regards to the set standards. Most companies and organizations are aware of the process’s implications and therefore maximize security reviews and audits.
Security review provides assessment functions, especially in regards to compliance, operating systems, and configurations. However, some companies employ more than one review for the safety of their data and other sensitive items. Security review is beneficial to individuals or companies that embrace it in these ways:
- Certifies and verifies how adequate the security of your strategies is.
- Reduces extra costs by shutting down the hardware and software that may have been discovered during the security review process.
- Unearth vulnerabilities that may have been instigated by new techniques and technology.
- Authenticates the organization’s or company’s compliance to set rules and regulations.
There are three types of security audits:
- One-time assessment. This type of security audit is performed to ensure that your software is not introducing any potential risks to your device.
- Toll-gate assessment. There isn’t a sure way to determine whether risks and vulnerabilities are coming your way. You might also come across stumbling blocks in the process.
- Portfolio assessment. This type of audit is scheduled regularly and ensures that the protocols and security processes are being followed to the letter.
5. Ethical Hacking
As name suggests, this is a form of acceptable hacking whose purpose is to ensure there are no vulnerabilities. Certain tools and techniques are used for this process to be successful.
Ethical hacking comes along with benefits such as:
- Prevent the theft of sensitive data from occurring.
- Enacts a secure network that prevents the breach of security.
- Ensures security at a national level, especially in connection to terrorists whose aim is to steal critical data.
- It helps in building clients’ trust by securing their data and products.
Ethical hacking must be conducted by an ethical hacker (also known as a white-hat hacker) for the process to be a success.
It’s becoming impossible to embrace technology with all the cyber-attacks in the blogosphere. Thanks to these types of application security testing, you are assured of conducting your business online without worrying about security vulnerabilities.